The simple sound of the word “failure” makes a lot of people feel quite uneasy. The F on your college exams; also the discussion about a failure you have had at work or with a past relationship; even when you failed to cook a cake according to the recipe. But failure, when properly assessed, is a very powerful tool. It actually helps you embrace success, boost your business and evolve personally and professionally.
In fact, failure is a blessing in disguise. It’s something that we are trained to dislike. It’s something we intend to avoid. Of course, as you can understand, in real life failure is unavoidable, because we are neither omniscient nor omnipotent. So it’s a fundamental part of our life. The faster we understand it and accept its role in our lives, the better it is for our personal growth, our prosperity and wellbeing.
So let’s see failure as a natural phenomenon and pinpoint some of its greatest benefits:
- Reinforce commitment to the goal: When you fail at something you have invested in, the experience of failure makes you seriously think if you actually want to achieve this venture. Do you really want to do this, invest more of yourself, and more of your life choices in order to make this happen? Failure actually tests and reaffirms your choices. It helps you be sure about what you want to do. Where do you want to go? And if you decide, you get where you want to go. It reinforces your decision-making, and it makes you committed to the goal. Otherwise, it provides you with the possibility to realize that you don’t truly want to pursue this specific goal. Thus, it helps you reorient yourself towards another option.
- Increase problem solving skills: In case of failure and since you have already decided to keep working for your goal, you start thinking what went wrong and how to resolve it. This motivates you to find solutions. You develop an analytical way of thinking and skills to make you deal with unexpected setbacks and resolve them rapidly and efficiently. You start decoding every step of the goal’s procedure. This eventually will lead you to get your goal.
- Organizing and Action Planning: In order to deal with your failure and overcome it, you can be methodical. You can systematize your action plan. You can organize better steps and strategize your approach with a much better way than the one that led you to the failure. This increases your performance by better channelling your creative energy onto your goal.
- Raising your awareness: Failure provides you with a striking piece of information: something went wrong. This probably happened without you been aware of it. After all, if you were aware, you could have prevented it. This error signals you that you need to increase your awareness about the situation, if you want to get things done. Failure makes you understand that your level of consciousness may be not as high as you needed it to be in order to better approach your goal and its positive outcome. This is extremely important not only for this specific goal but also for your personal development.
- Empowering your mindset: When you thinking derives from a negative mindset, your outcome is most probably negative. So failure makes you wonder what kind of mindset you choose to have. It is a great opportunity for you to discover hidden negative beliefs that keep you back from your goals and work on them in order to replace them with positive ones. Many successful entrepreneurs can tell you that thanks to a failure they found out that hidden negative beliefs were jeopardizing their success. Τhey intentionally made important changes to their way of thinking and perceiving reality. This finally has led to their success.
- Resilience and faith: When you deal with failure and you finally decide that you want to overcome it and keep pursuing your goal, this situation strengthens your resilience and your faith to it. You manage to deal with the adversities and you develop great stamina and endurance to challenges. You also keep a clear vision of your goal in your mind. Τhis strengthens your determination about getting the goal. Faith and resilience raise your self-confidence and boost your productivity. And guess what? These are super skills that guide you towards your success!
The first thing I advise my clients, when they face a failure, is to embrace it and accept the fact that they are humans. Having high expectations of themselves often makes them being judgemental and stern against themselves.
The best way to deal with failure is experiencing self-love and self- kindness. Once this is done, you begin assessing all the information that you receive from the failed experience. Learning from your failure is a unique way to gain experience and precious insights that will be eventually used as building blocks of your success.
Last modified: June 22, 2021